The Global Startup Awards (GSA) Africa is expanding its footprint in 2021. Africa’s fastest-growing innovation community invites all innovation leaders to access new markets, funding and a global network of leaders.
The Global Startup Awards bring together high impact startups and investors from over 100 countries across the globe. The network offers participants the opportunity to meet prospective mentors, partners, clients, and gain access to the latest industry trends.
The competition process also brings together local ambassadors, country partners, national jury members, international jury members as well as key advisors to discover winners in all aspects of the startup ecosystem.
The African Startup Awards connects the best of African tech startups across the continent to a global network of leading investors and innovation ecosystems. The African Startup Awards will offer startups access to:
- New Markets
- Funding Opportunities
- A Global Network Of Leaders
- Exposure On A Global Stage
The search is on across all 55 countries to identify solutions in multiple categories with a focus on financial inclusion, HealthTech, AgriTech, Fintech, renewable energy, sustainability and women-in-tech.
Working with local innovation ecosystem players in each regions, GSA Africa will earmark those innovation leaders with tech-based startups solving the biggest problems facing Africa and the world
GSA Africa Season 2021 Competition Categories:
- Women in Tech – Celebrates a pioneering tech startup founded and owned by a woman/women.
- Commerce tech – Acknowledges the startup connecting Africa by enabling commerce using technologies ranging from mobile-commerce, e-commerce, blockchain, and cryptocurrency, to fintech, insurtech and big data.
- ESG tech – Is awarded to the startup that is enabling environmental, social impact or corporate governance solutions in areas such as renewable energy, CleanTech, sustainability, recycling, water and sanitation, human rights, EdTech, GovTech, policy and regulation, among others.
- Agri tech – Is awarded to innovative solutions in food security, food production, farming methods and nutrition.
- Health tech – Recognises a startup that has initiated medical breakthroughs through innovative solutions in BioTech, HealthTech, wellness and telemedicine to improve quality of life.
- Industrial tech – Celebrates the startup that is enabling Africa’s industrialisation with innovative solutions for safety, mining, manufacturing, production, logistics, mobility and supply chain management.
- Startup of the year – Salutes a startup that inspires the next generation of founders by positively impacting the economy and the world in general. It should be a product and/or service that is already a success on the market, disrupting its industry with an innovative approach.
- Best Accelerator/Incubator Programme – Recognises a fixed-term, cohort-based, mentorship-driven program that helps and empowers entrepreneurs to foster the growth of their innovative companies by providing tools, resources, connections, knowledge and expertise.
- Best Newcomer – Acknowledges a startup of up to two years in age with the potential to become Startup of the Year in the future. Its product and/or service should already be on the market and on a path to disrupt its industry and positively impact the economy and the world.
- VC of the year – Honours the Venture Capitalist who has created impressive financial results while investing bravely in innovative companies that can positively impact the economy and the world, supporting them with resources other than purely financial.
- Founder of the Year – Will go to a startup founder or co-founder who has shown strong leadership skills and achieved exceptional business results while also being an inspiration to their team and a role model for the next generation of founders.
- Best Co-working Space – Is bestowed on a co-working space that deserves recognition for the services, support, and resources it gives to fast-growth startups, and for creating a culture and an environment that fosters innovation.
The GSA Africa mission and categories in this year’s competition are aligned to the African Union’s Agenda 2063 which strives to feed Africa, industrialise Africa, integrate Africa, and, ultimately, improve the quality of life for the people of Africa.
What can you gain as a winner in the competition:
- Better recognition nationally, regionally, and globally to attract business opportunities even from other countries, regions, and continents.
- Access to GSA Alumni Network which is an invite-only VIP club that not only serves a greater movement that fosters the development of startup ecosystems globally but also gives You access to a well-selected global network to support your international business endeavors.
- Connection to other regional and global stakeholders – finalists, winners, juries, partners, and ambassadors.
- Matchmaking with active investors, successful startups, accelerator and incubator programs, as well as government initiatives.
- Promotion through Global Startup Awards’ regional and global social media channels and newsletters.
- Opportunity to contribute with your expertise and knowledge to a greater good: to shape the global startup ecosystem with other selected future shapers.
- Enjoy the benefits of valuable services and products offered by our Prize Sponsors, as well as the opportunity to have a one-hour online conversation with some of the globally recognized investors and industry experts from all around the world.
The African Startup Awards Regions
- Southern African Startup Awards
- Northern African Startup Awards
- Eastern African Startup Awards
- Western African Startup Awards
- Central African Startup Awards
To enter, or nominate a future-shaper from the continent, click on the appropriate region above. Entries close on 31 July 2021.
Please subscribe to our newsletters for more articles